Welcome to my blog! My name is Jana and, as you might have guessed already, I love to sew on my old ardently loved Veritas sewing machine (see below). If necessary, I can browse through my fabric piles and roles for hours. 😉 In real live, I am a scientist, spouse of a wonderful man, and mom of the most adorable four-year-old. I did not learn to sew before my baby boy turned one; so you can still call me a Sewbie. Due to the very intense work load in my job, spare time is rare. Therefore, I usually sew late at night and pay heed to the following motto: Rome was not stitched in a day (or something like that). This is why you will find here plenty of small projects that can be easily done by spending no more than 15 minutes a day.
7 fun facts about me:
1. I moved to Toronto from Germany in fall 2013. At that time I could not hear a difference between: hat and head, chair and share, Maple Leafs and Maple Leaves, sew and saw.
2. I have a twin brother. When we were kids, we used to talk to each other even while sleeping.
3. I am twice as old as I look like….
4. When walking around in my apartment, I regularly bump into a wall, corner, door, my better half’s foot, or anything else that is lying or standing around. Fortunately, I have not run over my son so far.
5. I eat dough ice cream just for the sake of the dough pieces.
6. I am really bad when it comes to fashion, which is why I usually buy the complete outfit a mannequin is wearing.
7. I am unable to get any proverb right. I mix them up or unintentionally invent new ones. A while ago, a friend of mine and my better half had started collecting MY versions of proverbs in a list… I am pretty sure they are feeding the Sprichwortgenerator with my creations… It is unfortunately only in German but so funny.
11 answers to 11 questions (from Lore):
1. Why did you start blogging?
Like most bloggers out there, blogging primarily allows me to share my passion and meet like-minded people from all over the world. I still can not believe that readers from 79 countries (as of May 16th 2015) have been visiting this site, so far!!! In addition to this, I also want to make a difference in my own way by inspiring people to sew and craft with or for kids.
2. What are you most proud of?
That’s simple: My son. I love him more than anything in this world! As a scientist I need to add that he is the best experiment I have ever started! 😉
3. What’s your favourite animal?
Polar bears or E. coli 😉
4. What’s your favourite book?
Water Music by T.C. Boyle.
5. What three things could you not live without?
Again, the tiny scientist sitting on my shoulder whispers: air, food, and water. 😉 But I guess this is not what you meant. Therefore, my second answer is: my son, my better half, and my crafting shelf.
6. What food do you dislike the most?
7. What was the first record/cd you bought?
I really do not remember.
8. What is your favourite time of the year and why?
Now that I am here in Canada it is Summer, simply because I love to go camping and canoeing. There is nothing better in this world than canoeing all day and resting over night in a tent on a lonely island with wolfs howling in the distance. Such days ground me.
9. If you could go back to anytime in history which time period would you choose?
That’s a good question. I am tempted to go back to a time when the dinosaurs still lived. Wouldn’t that be fantastic? I would also like to go AHEAD in time to see the future, though….
10. What is your favourite film genre?
I like any kind of science-fiction movies (whether real or animated)—complete with heroes, fantastic places, supernatural powers, and impossible quests.
11. What do you consider to be the greatest beauty product of all time?
And now, my friend, I would love to hear from you. If you have any questions or comments about a specific post/tutorial, please share it with me either through the comments section or via email: meandmyveritas(at)gmail.com